Wednesday, January 22, 2014

IF: Beginning

For this topic I decided to go back to the "beginning" of my time at RISD. Or at least when I really started to find myself as an artist. I had this amazing professor named Lenny Long. I was so lucky because I was able to have him for several classes while I attended RISD. One course I took with him was an independent study, which met while he was teaching his sophomore drawing class. I was always curious to what he was teaching them and a few times I wrote down some assignments that I thought were interesting and wanted to try in my spare time. That was back in like, 2003 and needless to say I never did any of those awesome assignments.
Well, until now. This was my challenge to myself, to follow all the perimeters that Lenny gave for this one. The basic idea was this, draw an exterior scene, taking place at night, where a secret club is initiating a new member. I'm obsessed with abandoned amusement parks and costume characters scare the hell out of me, so I thought it would make a very eerie, yet really fun piece. So here ya go, the "beginning" of one crazy night for this fellow, I'm calling the piece, the Initiation.

No comments: